Avatar ® has been involved with web design, development and marketing for over fourteen years, so we know what it takes to create a website that means business.
“WordPress websites with a sales focus” sums up nicely what we’re about. We’ve found the WordPress content management system offers excellent functionality and is simple for our clients to use. Once your site looks sharp and works well, you then need to ensure your target audience finds you online. The difference between success and poor results is often the sales and marketing strategy that’s put into action.
Why Choose Avatar?
- Visually enticing, commercially effective web design. View our portfolio.
- Extensive experience. We have helped over 600 businesses of all types, all over the world.
- Effective site search engine optimisation and web marketing. To see the great results we achieve, view our case studies and client comments.
We’ve been fortunate to have had some great online success. Around the same time Mark Rocket founded Avatar in 1998, he was a co-founder of New Zealand Tourism Online. This company started out as a 20 page web site and grew to be the #1 commercial tourism direction in New Zealand. The company went on to win 5 New Zealand Tourism Awards, was in the Fast 50 moving companies 3 years running and was subsequently sold to Yellow Pages. Mark Rocket founded NZS.com in 2000 and it is one of the leading NZ web directories. Over the years Avatar has also created other projects to experiment with what works online, which we find is a good way for the team to hone their skills and pass on precious real-world experience to our clients. We don’t just talk the talk, we also walk the walk.
What Is The Meaning Of Avatar?
We sometimes get asked about the meaning of ‘avatar‘. It’s a word with an interesting back story. We didn’t name ourselves after the epic James Cameron sci-fi film, in fact we kicked off in 1998 – well ahead of the popularity curve. Here are some dictionary definitions:
- av·a·tar () n.
- The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
- A representation of a user in a multi-user virtual reality environment.
- A root or superuser. There are quite a few Unix computers on which the name of the superuser account is “avatar” rather than “root”.
We think it’d be rather nice to be thought of as a physical manifestation of a deity, and we also like the concept of being a computing ‘superuser’, but we actually chose the name because we see ourselves as guiding our clients to creating a successful ‘avatar’, or representation, of themselves on the Internet.
Avatar proudly sponsors non-profit organisations by free web site hosting and a variety of other means. Some of our selected causes include: