8 Reasons Why You Need A Mobile Device Friendly Website
Monday, September 8th, 2014
Mobile devices make up a significant portion of daily Internet usage, and this number only looks set to increase into the future as we integrate smart phones and tablets further into our lives. If you had a high street shop and 10 people out of a 100 had a bad experience, you’d probably do something about it pretty quick – and you shouldn’t think any differently when it comes to ensuring you have a mobile-ready site. Therefore, making sure your site works optimally for mobile users and provides an elegant viewing experience is more critical than ever. If you need further convincing, here are 8 reasons to make your site mobile friendly:
1. Mobile traffic accounts for 15% of all global Internet traffic. The biggest reason to consider a mobile website is the simple fact that it’s now a sizeable audience that cannot be ignored. Worldwide the rate of mobile Internet usage is as high as 15%; here at Avatar we’re typically seeing 5% to 15% using mobile phones and 5% to 15% tablet usage. It’s very rare for phone/tablet combined viewing to be less than 10%. If you don’t have a website in place that caters to this growing segment of web users, then you are missing out big time.
2. Tablet users spend 50% more than PC Users. If you run an eCommerce website (or do any selling whatsoever on your site), then you’ll be interested to know that tablet users are far more likely to spend online. This may be because those on a tablet are looking for something specifically, while PC users tend to be idly browsing.
3. Mobile based searches make up one quarter of all searches. Any website with an online marketing strategy will understand how essential SEO and search results pages are for driving website traffic. A mobile device friendly website is friendly for mobile searchers too, who constitute an ever-growing proportion of search engine users.
4. 95% of smartphone users have searched specifically for local information. If you’re a business that relies on local foot traffic, you need to be reaching these people. Now that mobile devices can facilitate actions such as click-to-call
5. Google displays good mobile results first. If you’ve ever made a local Google search from your phone, you’ll know how easy it is to click on the businesses that have properly optimised their web presence with phone numbers and map details.
6. Delays lose sales. The longer it takes for your website to load, the more likely visitors will hit the back button and search elsewhere. If you have a high bounce rate, the culprit could be a clunky site for mobile users.
7. Roughly 25% of emails are opened on mobile phones, and roughly 10% on tablets. There’s no point investing into an email or newsletter marketing campaign unless you’re properly positioned to take advantage of the resulting traffic, and ensuring mobile users can load your website from their inbox is essential.
8. 61% of people have a better opinion of brands that offer a good mobile experience. It just makes sense – satisfied customers will feel good about your brand, products or services, which makes them more likely to be repeat customers or to pass on your details to a friend.
If your website doesn’t cater to this emerging lucrative mobile audience, it’s time to think about what you can offer and do to ensure their needs are being met. Avatar has extensive experience in creating responsive website solutions for our clients, so feel free to get in touch if you need help.
Statistics compiled by Mobify.
Free Expert Online Marketing Tips
Sign up to Avatar's monthly newsletter...