Writing For The Web
Web Writing Techniques
Writing for the Web requires a different technique to writing for print. In order to appeal to scanners rather than readers, online writing tends to employs several key techniques including:
Meaningful headings and sub-headings
Clear, informative copy
Use of highlighted or bold text and keyword phrases
Short paragraphs, each focussing on one idea
Short to mid length sentences
Bulleted and numbered lists
Half the word count of conventional writing
The most effective writing for the Web gives your online business credibility and makes your customers feel secure about doing business with you. However, establishing credibility does not mean bombarding your viewer with marketing hyperbole. Care needs to be taken to appeal to a specific target market.
All the elements of writing for the Web should work together to:
- Establish credibility for your online business
- Support or launch your brand
- Appeal to your target market
- Provide useful and valuable information
- Engage your customer or reader
- Convey enthusiasm for your product or service
- Offer a compelling reason to buy or to act
- Call your customer to action
If you are interested in commissioning us for our writing for the Web expertise, please contact us for a free quotation.
View our Terms and Conditions page.