6 Tips For Boosting eCommerce Sales
Sunday, February 3rd, 2013
As our previous post examined, eCommerce is truly taking off in New Zealand, and with these trends in mind many businesses will be looking to expand into the digital sales arena. Offering huge freedom of choice and global buying power, online retail has many advantages. However it does require a different strategy to running a local, physical store. Without a physical presence to entice customers, it’s up to you to do the same job digitally. In this blog post we’ll review some techniques that can help boost your online selling potential.
- Write powerful copy. The text on your product pages should do all the work of a salesman, offering solid reasons to buy the item. It should be friendly and highly readable, with information broken into lists and headers wherever possible. The text on your main and landing pages should be focused and easy to skim – most online shoppers will give your website a brief visual assessment before deciding to look any further.
- Display superb imagery. If your product photographs look stunning, then it will make your product so much more compelling. The DIY photography approach is hard to get a top result, so seriously think of sourcing a professional photographer that has an impressive portfolio.
- Provide exceptional customer service. It’s easy to be misled into thinking that online sales aren’t from “real people” when they only show up as numbers on your computer, but your customers deserve just as much care and service as their physical counterparts would. Reply to all enquiry emails promptly and with a friendly, human response. For optimal results, try to talk to people on the phone. Quickly resolve any issues and provide updates if dispatch or shipping is delayed.
- Put the customer experience first. Just like a store in a mall, you want to design your website with the customer and their thought pattern in mind. Think about who your customers are and what they’re immediately looking for. Show them ways to directly achieve their shopping goals. Create a website that’s professional and aesthetically pleasing, that makes them feel like they’ve come to the right place.
- Think online marketing. Your eCommerce success is dependent on how well you market your website. Having a great online marketing strategy will make the difference between success and mediocrity. Consider SEO, advertising, social media and viral marketing techniques.
- Review and improve. It’s important for you to be in touch with your site and monitor what works and what doesn’t. Keep an eye on statistics provided by services like Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools to find out where people may be losing interest, or where they disengage with the sales process. Make changes and experiment, optimising towards the more popular items and pages.
For those familiar with traditional retail, some aspects of the eCommerce strategy will come more easily. Successfully blending solid real-world marketing fundamentals and new online marketing techniques will help drive a high-performing website.
Free Expert Online Marketing Tips
Sign up to Avatar's monthly newsletter...