Blog Post Writing Tips
Wednesday, April 25th, 2012
One of the best ways to improve your site’s SEO and get higher rankings is by maintaining a blog. A good blog will both prove to Google that your site is high-quality, and create content that is more likely to be shared on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. It’s also a great way to provide extra information to viewers, stuff that doesn’t quite fit onto the site. Of course, setting up the blog is the easy part. Figuring out what to say can be much trickier. It’s the content that will boost your SEO, so it’s essential that what you’re writing is clear, easy-to-read and above all, useful. You want your readers and customers to engage with your content, so make it interesting and relevant.
Some blog writing topics are:
- Insights on industry news. Provide a friendly link between a complicated subject and the layman reader.
- De-bunk industry myths. Readers love to feel like they’re getting the inside scoop.
- Talk about an industry debate. Provide your opinion.
- Discuss where the industry is going. What this could mean for the reader.
Some tips for making your content high-quality and engaging are:
- Blog as if you’re talking to one person. Blogs can be informal, friendly, opinionated and even a little irreverent.
- Run a contest. A photo, product naming or video contest actively encourages audience participation.
- Add graphics and pictures. Screeds of plain text are guaranteed to repel readers!
- Leave comments. Both to replies on your blog and other industry-related blogs.
- Cross-post to Twitter and Facebook. If you have a CMS site such as WordPress/Drupal/Joomla, then use plug-ins.
- Find successful bloggers in your industry. Offer to exchange links or make contact.
Blogs often don’t become popular overnight; you have to keep working at it by posting consistently good content. It can be a challenge, but is often enjoyable if you pick a topic that interests you! The SEO rewards are worth it.
Free Expert Online Marketing Tips
Sign up to Avatar's monthly newsletter...